Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Growing up, Thanksgiving looked pretty much the same every year. A two hour car ride to my grandma and grandpas' house where we stuffed ourselves full with a delicious Thanksgiving lunch for 35+ people. (My mom has a big family.) Then we headed over to my great aunt and uncles' house for Thanksgiving dinner for another 30+ people. (My dad has a big family too.) I always made sure to pack my Christmas CD's so I could listen to them on my portable CD player (remember those?!) on our two hour drive home. And that was it, the same thing every year.

Then Kevin and I got married and when you're married you get blessed with an even bigger family to share the holidays'. This is our fifth Thanksgiving together and none of them have ever looked the same. Sometimes Kevin has made that two hour car ride with me to spend Thanksgiving with my side of the family, but even then my aunt and uncles host now since cooking such a big meal is getting to be too much for my grandparents. Other years Kevin and I get to spend Thanksgiving with his family.

This year Thanksgiving was a little different yet again. We had to move the big meal to lunch to accommodate work schedules. I brought an oreo pie with a brownie crust and helped my mother-in-law make her homemade dressing (or stuffing, whatever you want to call it.) It was a nice peaceful and relaxing holiday.

I wonder what Thanksgivings of the future will look like. Will we have little babies that will someday grow into kids who want to play football in the backyard? Will I eventually host Thanksgiving at my house? That would definitely put my cooking skills, or lack there of, to the test! Will I make that two hour journey next year to see the smiling faces of my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents? All I know is I am thankful that every year I get share Thanksgiving with people I love.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment